roofer or window fascia fitters ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening. a short explanation first.
some upvc came off the gable end the other day,exposing underneath a rotting truss. i have had a quote to fix this from a company who are not strictly roofers. they are windows/doors /fascias /porches type company ,although well regarded.
however ive been quoted for the renewel of the rotten truss ,which id have thought not a two minute job and fit new upvc afterwards along the whole of the gable end for £1450.
im not dissapointed with this price,im infact worried its a little cheap ? would this seem about the ball park figure ?
would it be worth getting roofing companies quotes also. the truss/beam thats rotten is like external not inside the loft space.
they also quoted £2680 for small front porch all upvc.

Sponsored Links
Not technically a roofers job either, more a joiner which upvc installers generally are.

Anyway for a standard gable barge that price seems a bit steep! i would get another 2 or 3 quotes.

thanks for the reply. the thing is i dont believe its just the barge board, theres the truss/joist behind that that is also rotten, about two rows of tiles may need lifting . and certainly scoffolding which will be around £350.
its the fact that its a beam behind the barge which needs doing that makes me wonder if a roofer is a better bet or would these fascia chaps be ok ?
cheers.

Sponsored Links
Decent upvc cladding firms will be used to dealing with the roofing side of barges, eaves etc.

yeah, thanks guys, i think i'll get a couple of roofers quotes along with the fascia quotes.

Alistair you must have better pvc fitters than we have down here, were they can't even be bothered to fit a new bit of felt after they have replaced the fascia boards.

Well i've seen some roofers attempts at cladding, and likewise joiners attempts at roofing.

Minefield out there!

I tell u what i'd do, get a roofer in to strip the tiles, sort out the timber, new compo etc and then just get a fascia fitter in for 1/2 a day to bang up some new boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back