Rooflight of Sun Tunnel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the roof section?...

I'm buying a Edwardian style terrace and the big first floor landing is pretty dark. The small landing window is on the side of the back of the house (back faces east) so gets minimal light.

Has anyone ever installed a rooflight and then a glass floor in the loft to get the light through the loft space? I'm not sure how good this would be at getting light through? The other option is a sun tunnel but have my reservations.

If I eventually extend into the loft, a rooflight would already be in, most likely install where the stairs would go, future-proofing so to speak.

Any help or advice much appreciated guys.

Sponsored Links
It could be a lot of work for uncertain results.
Glass in the loft floor would be a safety concern, & therefore best avoided unless various measures were taken.
There's a thread in the Building forum 2 july this year about a strange structure in the loft - worth a read.

My dad has a roof light and floor glass (put in in the 70s). It does work but it needs frequent cleaning because the loft floor gets very mucky.

Sponsored Links
Change a door from one of the rooms to obscure glass door, let in the light while maintaining privacy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back