Rookie DIY - Decking Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Complete rookie here on DIY, never done much before.

I have this really old deck in garden and I want to change it. I took some boards out to see how it looks like underneath. I have watched a lot of vids online and read a lot of threads here but still have some questions.

Can you give me please some advice?

- Will be doable or shall I look to hire someone?

- What steps/checks do you suggest to follow?

- Do I need to cover the soil below?

- Do I need to change the joists or keep the same try to maintain them if that's possible?

- Can I apply compostite decking on it ? or what material do you suggest?

Thanks everyone in advance! :)

1713167833179.jpg
1713167833229.jpg
1713167833326.jpg
1713167833294.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not sure what the climate is like where you are but I would pay attention to where the decking meets the house. You don't want to bridge the DPC with the decking or block any vents. Although, as the wall is rendered, it might not be obvious where the DPC is.

Timber in contact with the ground always rots in the end. But plastic timber products are surprisingly expensive.
Some of the joists might be salvageable, but that one you've done a close up of doesn't look to clever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back