Room thermostat wiring and damage to boiler programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced my analogue, dial, room stat (Potterton PRT2) with a battery powered Siemens RDD10.1 (not 10). However, I accidentally connected the neutral wire to the Q12 connection when wiring the RDD10. Result; 3A fuse at the boiler/programmer (Potterton PRT2002 controlling Suprima 50) blew. Replaced fuse and disconnected incorrectly connected neutral (now unused). RDD10 stat works well but now when it switches on to call for heat the boiler will fire even though the programmer says it is 'off' and therefore the boiler shouldn't come on even though the stat is switched on. Any advice please very, very gratefully received.

One plan I thought, to save programmer replacement, was to change the stat for a programmable one and therefore get around the lack of timer control at the programmer. Any safety issue with this? I assume that the switch in the programmer was damaged and is now permanently in the 'on' position. Hot water does not appear to be affected in the same way, i.e. if the cylinder stat calls for heat and the programmer is 'off' then the boiler does not fire up.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like the contacts in the programmer welded together by the current drawn when the fuse blew.

If so, what you suggest would work, but it would be better to replace the programmer. The "weld" may, or may not be permanent and it could introduce a resistance into the circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back