Rosemary tile size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need the odd rosemary tile replacing. Its a 1930s house. Are these tiles standard size? I hope to source from a local yard.

crakkers

Sponsored Links
Firstly, ensure they are rosemarys. Look for the branding stamp on the back of the tile. Rosemary tiles are a brand of plain clay tiles. My 1930s tiles are Armitage plain clay tiles. Dreadnought is another brand. A modern version still using the Rosemary brand name is still produced by Redland.

Plain clay tiles are a standard size today. I am also sure they were a standardish size in the 1930s, however I think there were probably slight variations in the differing brands and also due to the manufacturing process of the time. So if you are getting some from a reclaim yard, just try to get some of the same brand/period.

Modern plain clay tiles which are a standard size (265 x 165mm) may also fit, but it can be hit and miss. I used some modern Rosemary tiles from Redland (I got a few samples as was thinking of re-roofing). I used them to replace a few broken ones to see how they look. Some fit perfectly, others did not. This was do to slight variations in my original tiles as I said. All it need to be is a few mm out and it is difficult to fit in (unless you cut them). So as I said, try to get some from a reclaimers yard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back