Rotten floor in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am after some advice. I have a ceramic tiled floor in the kitchen, which has been extended into the garage as part of a conversion by the previous owner, which extends to some 25m2

the wooden floor in the 'old' kitchen is tongue and groove wood that has rotted, and left cracked tiles and holes in the floor.

Ive started ripping out the broken tiles and rotten boards, which seems to have affected approx 1.5m2 Underneath the wood is a clear sheet/moisture barrier adn then polystyrene insulation and then the dpm... which appears undamaged.

The plan is to overlay everything with a new floating laminate flooring, over the existing tiles. (the tiles in the garage section are stuck down really well, and are not coming up anytime soon).

My question is what is the best way of fixing the hole and bringing it up to a level with the tiles, to enable the laminate to be completed. I dont have any spare tiles to fill the hole in.

WOuld something like, new wood to match the level of the remaining wooden floor and then a self leveling compound to raise to the top of the tiles? Probably about 7-8mm.

It doesnt have to look brilliant, just be a sound floor to be covered over.

Any suggestions on the best approach and / or products?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is this a suspended floor, or do the joists lie on the oversite?

All affected wood must be replaced and ventilation provided.

Why has the floor rotted out?

Your proposal will probably fly, but there are many other unanswered questions. You could end up with a very creaky, and high FFL laminate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back