Routing cabling on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am dropping my ceiling by ~ 60mm to install some thermal / acoustic insulation to reduce the degree of transmitted sound from the flat above and am considering moving the location of the ceiling light / light switches, with the exiting cabling single core run in embedded conduit.

If I choose to run some T&E cabling clipped to the existing ceiling are there any restrictions as to where / how said cabling is run ?

Sponsored Links
If you simply clip it to the ceiling (could even use strong gaffa tape, or other adhesive rather than risk damaging the ceiling) to immediately above the new position, then drop down vertically, you've complied.

edit: In reality, most sparks would just lay the cable on the ceiling

Yes but unlikely you would fall foul of the regulations. Main one is if under 50mm from surface must be RCD protected but even that is not law only a regulation.
Strictly speaking, I think you'll find that even that regulation only applies to cables buried <50mm below surfaces of walls, not ceilings.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back