Routing pipes. Safe zones for plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

A few general plumbing questions for you pro's:

Can 15mm copper pipe be run through stud walls length ways? ie drill 16mm holes through the center of 3x2" studs?

Do pipe joints & waste pipes need to be accessible? Or boarded over ok?

Are position of runs an issue ie height wise, distance from corners of adjacent walls etc or are there safe zones like for electrics?

Can 15mm copper be run down a wall chased in to supply rads? Same question, position of runs & is any mechanical protection needed?
Also would the pipes need draincocks at bottom of pipes?

What are the recommended spacing of fixings?

I looked in the Wiki but the link for "pipes-joists" is empty, could anyone point me in the direction of building regs for this info?

I need to get it right as its got to be inspected by Building Control. Its an extention, thermalite block inside, just a bare shell at moment, but I really need info on how to do first fix before I notch, chase & drill everything in sight! I plan to use 15mm copper pipe, soldered end feed joints.

:?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick reply Bahco!
So no issues at all? Just use common sense for the pipe runs?

I've found the main 22mm central heating feed & return, I was planning to extend these into extention under floor & T off for new rads in 15mm, that sound good?

Is there no need for nail covers/mechanical protection for copper pipe?

Sorry if these seem dumb questions, just want to get it all right for inspection. I'm competant making soldered joints but never had to plan/design.

I've just built a new en suite in the new master bedroom with a stone shower tray. I've bedded the tray straight onto the floor with a week mix of sand cement, the waste trap i've cut a hole in floor so waste will run under floor/above downstairs ceiling (parallel to joists). I've just read the shower tray should have been raised to allow access for the trap?
Will I have to re-install the shower tray?

I've found the main 22mm central heating feed & return, I was planning to extend these

Very good :D

Is there no need for nail covers/mechanical protection for copper pipe
A good idea to cover them.

I would leave the shower tray if you have done it and it drains away ok and does not leak. :D

Sponsored Links
Phew! Cheers, I'll see if inspector says anything.

Now I've got abit of re-assurance i spoze I better crack on.

Thanks alot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back