Rsj fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Knocking through kitchen into dining room and need to fit a 3m rsj(this is including overhang) Im hoping a 203mm rsj will suffice for this and will get a structural engineer to properly calculate this, question is if the joists are running the opposite way to the rsj can they be notched slightly to lift the steel higher into ceiling to gain height as want to run a row of tall kitchen units under the lintel and gaining even 20mm would greatly help.

Sponsored Links
Knocking through kitchen into dining room and need to fit a 3m rsj(this is including overhang) Im hoping a 203mm rsj will suffice for this and will get a structural engineer to properly calculate this, question is if the joists are running the opposite way to the rsj can they be notched slightly to lift the steel higher into ceiling to gain height as want to run a row of tall kitchen units under the lintel and gaining even 20mm would greatly help.
The steel beam could be let into the floor space in its entirety, as long as you fill out the web etc. A lot bigger job though, especially if there are pipes and cables involved

Only a few cables to pass through one room to another, but as long as it can be lifted into the joists to some degree I'm not fussed by how much just gives me extra clearance for tall units as its tight currently. Thanks for the reply

I'm not an SE but I have a 152x152 spanning 4m and picking up the first floor masonry wall and a fair bit of the roof above, and (running in perpendicular) the floor joists for 2 bedrooms. I suspect a 152 will do what you need.

IMG_20231207_124421868.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hopefully a 152 will do it, the load bearing wall coming out is the original side of house before extension thats currently there so there is a breeze, cavity and brick, no idea if this makes any difference

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back