RSJ Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Seeking advice on a major RSJ installation on a house conversion.
A kitchen/diner conversion has resulted in a major supporting wall being removed and replaced by a RSJ. The pics show the RSJ is bolted either end to 2 vertical beams. The full weight of the RSJ and upper floor of the house is therefore held by just 12 x M16 bolts. I would have thought the RSJ would sit on top of the vertical beams, thus taking the weight, rather than just the bolts.
The structural engineer has reassured the house owner that it is standard practice and the calculations suggest the bolts are adequate.
I'm not a structural engineer by any means, but I have significant mechano construction experience ;);)and being of a nervous disposition I worry that the house is only being held up by 12 bolts.
I've already suggested that the house owner should invite his local council building inspector to view the installation.
Comments/advice would be welcome.
Cheers 20180324_100352.jpg 20180324_100516.jpg 20180324_100600.jpg 20180324_100615.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's not necessarily wrong, but that connection with the vertical stantion narrower than the beam is bad design.

Is it in accordance with the engineers design detail?

A grade 8.8 M16 bolt will take a shear force of around 58 kN; there will be a slight reduction of this figure due to some tension in the top rows of bolts but nothing significant and 6 bolts each end will be fine.

Have to disagree with Woody slightly on the connection detail; I suspect that the beam has to be the width it is due to the tendency of narrower beams to buckle, while the SE has specced a (narrower) 152 column section to reduce costs and/or take up less space.

Don't waste your breath asking the local building inspector for his opinion - the justification will (or should be) in the figures.

Thanks guys - Have also done a little more research and the bolts fitted are Grade 8.8 M16 so feeling a lot better about it all.
Just goes to show how over engineered the Meccano sets were (y)(y)

The current problem is the husband/wife arguments over the final design/layout of the kitchen/diner, but I'm keeping my distance from that one. :cool::cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back