Rsj into party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we had a loft conversion a year or so ago and today I finally got round to putting some items into storage in the eaves space left over.

I noticed that where one of the steel beams goes into the party wall (it doesn’t span the cavity) has not been bricked up/made good above the rsj. So I could reach into the party wall cavity. The conversion was signed off by BCO. Is this acceptable? Is it not a fire risk?

I checked the other ends into the external wall and that has been made up, so just this one end.

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Course it isn't acceptable, but BCOs have been known to miss things. Wouldn't bother chasing the installation company (you can if you want but you'll probably get nowt for it) - get some mortar and some bricks and carefully fill the hole (try not to drop any mortar down the cavity)

Ok thanks for your reply.

I figured a bit of a stupid question but I’m no expert.

Will do just that and fill it up.

Anything in particular around the metal itself or fine just with mortar then the bricks?

Sponsored Links
Have a look see if they've done anything special at the other end- as long as the steel has been treated/painted (galvanised or red oxide paint) then bricks and mortar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back