Rsj nib

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a supporting wall knocked down, had SE calcs and building regs. The builder amended the nib by making it more square than using just the old nib part of the wall, telling us it was better support. I know he tied this into the existing side wall, but I am now concerned as to possible lack of new foundations for this new pillar - is building on old wall foundations enough with ties? BCO passed it all, but he was focussing more on rsj, I think.
If action needed to remedy, what is our course of action?

Sponsored Links
If the new nib is tied to the existing wall, and centred on what was left of the old wall at the bottom, it will be fine.

The new nib was built on the old footings, I think he took all old wall away. Is this still ok?

As long as it was built over the old footings (even if it overlaps both sides) AND as long as the pier is tied to the wall, it will be OK.

Remember that a lot of the load going onto the top of the pier will be transfered into the existing wall by the ties, and therefore will go down to the foundation of the main wall, as well as going down to the footing of the old wall.
So by the time the load gets down to the foundation, it will have 'spread out' within the wall and so won't actually put much extra load on the foundation.

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been letting myself get quite worried about this since reading a comment made on another forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back