Rubber Flashing / Flue - How Long Will It Be Watertight ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I had two twin wall flues (5 inch diameter x 900 mm long) fitted to replace my two chimney stack just over two years ago by a local builder. The flues were protected by a rubber/ steel flashing to make watertight.

Could anyone tell me how long this system will typically stay watertight to the point of 'failing' (I assume the rubber will lift from either the steel flashing or tear at the point it meets the twin wall flue). Are we looking at 5 years, 10 years or longer ? The flues are both external.

It seems that my house and furnishings are only protected as long as the rubber holds out and that there isn't a secondary back up !

Stewart

Sponsored Links
What make or manufacturer? Can you see them, or similar, on the web?

Do you have photos of the connection to the brick(?) chimney breasts, and of the external position where the flues pierce the roof?

Why did you do the above job two years ago?

Are they for solid fuel fires, gas appliances or something else?

Why now? Why this question two years on?

The rubber perishes eventually! and when it does it wont cause your house to flood! regard it as maintenance the same as the rest of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back