Rubbing sound??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 weeks ago i noticed a rubbing/grinding sound coming from the rear passenger side wheel. The noise appears when i'm turning right at around 30mph, it is pretty loud. I first thought the wheel bearing as it sounded rough when it was turning, so i have replaced the old one with new, however i'm still getting the noise?? I've got no idea what else it could be. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. :)

Vauxhall Astra Mk4
2001 (Y Plate)
1.6 8v club
53000 miles

Sponsored Links
If your sure it's coming from the rear.(if it's coming from the front it will probably be a cv joint)
Try jacking the other side up and spin the wheel while listening for a rumbling sound, if you do hear it then change the bearing on that side.

;)

Sponsored Links
If your sure it's coming from the rear.(if it's coming from the front it will probably be a cv joint)
Try jacking the other side up and spin the wheel while listening for a rumbling sound, if you do hear it then change the bearing on that side.

;)

Its definately coming from the rear. I'll give the other side a try and see if thats the same.:cool:

When you had the brake drum off, was there any sign of the drum contacting the backplate?
How about the shoes - did you check them carefully for any signs of delamination between shoe and lining material?
John :)

When you had the brake drum off, was there any sign of the drum contacting the backplate?
How about the shoes - did you check them carefully for any signs of delamination between shoe and lining material?
John :)

I didn't notice any contact on the backplate, i'll have another look though to see if there is any.

turning right, 30mph, rear passenger wheel?

sounds like something rubbing when the car tilts over that way..

get a couple of friends to push the car so it tilts that may and have a look what might be catching..

do you have a lot in the boot? try emptying it..

Hi, this may be the cause, it has happened to me twice, are your tyres low profile? have you been over any pot holes lately? as I said this happened to me and destroyed the inner tyre side wall causing it to bulge. Worth a look....

Sponsored Links
Back