Rubish chute help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to need a rubish chute, like the ones they use on building sites, but i don't need anything that big as these are very large. I have searched on the internet but could not find anything suitable. i know you can hire the large chutes, but i would need this for a few months and it would cost a fortune.

Basically i live in a town house as we are on a hill and the garden is on the second level, and i need to shift alot of earth down the side steps to a skip. Is there anything i could use as a chute maybe?

Any advice most appreaciated

Sponsored Links
a chute will be useless unless it is near to vertical, the damp soil will clog up in no time. and if it rains, forget it!

how steep are the steps?

if you decided to go all guns blazing and hired a digger, you could also hire a conveyer type machine that could shift a heck of a lot of gear.

Hi, the chute would be around 80% vertical, quite step steps. No digger unfornuately, no way to get it in plus the cost. But i agree unless near vertical i'll get problems

I guess another way would be to make up a wooden chute, similar in shape to guttering and put the earth into rubble bags and slide the bags down the chute.

This job will take me months due to the lack of time i have, so a slow project.

Sound ok? or any other ideas wouls be most welcome.

how about this for a barmy idea.

if the steps are contained within walls, fix some polythene up each wall.
fill in the steps with some soil so that you effectively level things up. push the barrow around and off the edge.....mmm, what edge i hear you say with panicked voice.

ok...i'll think on. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Funny enough, that was one of the ideas we came up with, but i also need to go down the steps to get the the wheel barrow at th bottom to empty it into a skip LoL.

Another idea was to use lengths of that bendy mdf snd create a few sections, cover this with tarpolin and bobs your uncle :)

correct me if i am wrong, but before the advent of the plastic bin rubbish chute, did they not use scafholding in a chute shape? (that is 3 sides with scafholding boards)

No idea, not in the buliding trade, but it would make perfect sense!

I guess that's the way forward at the moment

Thanks for the helpfull replies

neither am i as such, i just lokk around on my travels and ask questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back