Running Cable through a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've searched long and hard for an answer to this with no avail so I'm hoping one of you guys can help me! I'm in the process of rewiring my house. I've removed the old wiring and it was run upstairs under the floor boards in channels, around half an inch deep, cut out of the joists, where it had to cross them. Is it ok to run the cable through the same path without drilling holes in the joists providing the tops are secured with some metal protection?

Also, when running cable in the loft, the old wiring was previously running over the joists - the majority of the joists are only about 3" high apart from the main joist at the centre of the house, therefore it is impossible to drill holes to pass the cable through at the acceptable depths - in this case is it possible to run cable over the joists in conduit?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
DIYLee said:
. Is it ok to run the cable through the same path without drilling holes in the joists providing the tops are secured with some metal protection? yes, provided the metal has no sharp edges and has insulation material to isolate it from the cable, thats why most of the time people drill holes half way down the joist

Also, when running cable in the loft, the old wiring was previously running over the joists - the majority of the joists are only about 3" high apart from the main joist at the centre of the house, therefore it is impossible to drill holes to pass the cable through at the acceptable depths - in this case is it possible to run cable over the joists in conduit?yes, provided the conduit has a female bush or male bush and socket at each end, and is connected to earth or has insulation material to isolate it from the cable, or use plastic condiuit (but that gives little mechanical protection)

Any help appreciated!

then again you could just run it over the joists (unless you are going to board your loft)

DIYLee,

When wiring in lofts, to make it tidier (and better if you store lots or are going to board it), we usually run cables along in the joist spaces, next to the insulation (but not right under it) - on a keen day it's worth clipping it to the joist with a clip here and there, but don't go overboard.

Where it has to cross the joists, we usually run it along to the crossbeams that run accross the loft in two or three places, then along to the appropriatre joist space, so that there aren't wires running diagonally all over the place. It looks tidy, and keeps the cables out of harms way.

By all means shove it in some conduit, but to be honest that is overkill, I've never seen it done before.

Take care, hope this helps.

Paul

Sponsored Links
What I have done for most people is to put down 2"x1" batten on top of joist opposite direction and cut out for wires etc then board on top.This would also give you air flow across the joists under the boards as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back