Running cable to shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - great forum by the way. I hope i can contribute in the future. I'd like a little help with the following:

A friend of mine has asked me to run a power cable out to his shed for a twin socket and a light. He lives in a rented house, so he's not keen on asking the landlord if he can drill a big hole in the external wall. So i intend to remove the installation when he moves out next year, and fill all holes etc.

Anyway, i'm just looking for some feedback/comments on the following:
I intend to run a 3 x 2.5Sq. SWA from the house to the shed. In the shed it will be properly glanded to a metal surface-mount twin socket, and will also feed 1 light. In the house, i was going to wire a 13A plug to a 2.5 Sq. flex, and join this to the SWA coming from the shed (in a junction box inside the house). This will be easier than wiring the SWA directly to the sockect circuit, and the 13A plug will give adequate protection for the 2.5Sq SWA.

Would this be ok? Sorry if this is a little bit long, or difficult to understand.

Also, does anybody know the total diamter of a 3 core 2.5Sq SWA. Would a 16mm hole be big enough?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You don't say how far the shed is from the house, but assuming it is no more than 25M you can use 2.5mmSWA.

You could take it from a suitable RCD protected socket (assuming it does not already have another spur coming off it), into a w/p jb on the o/s wall. The SWA can then be taken from here to similar on shed, and terminated. Inside the shed you would need to connect to a 13A FCU to your skt. This will provide your means of isolation in the shed. You can then take it from the skt to a 3A FCU which you can use for switching the light circuit.

The SWA needs to be sunk in a trench. The work is notifiable in England/Wales so presumably the same in Ireland.

Would think it best to advise the landlord beforehand.

Thanks for your help. The shed is very close to the house, so the cable run is only 15m. I've identified a suitable socket to take a spur from, so it should be a straight-forward job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back