Running pipes though joists

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Remodeling the bathroom and trying to hide all the pipe work. Need to try to run the bath waste pipe across the room and hence through all the joists. This will be very close to where the joists are supported by the outside wall.

So the question is how large a hole can I cut in the joists, will be at various levels to allow for the fall of the pipe. The joists are nominaly 2" thick and set upto 400mm apart.
Will a 1 and a half inch hole weaken the joist to much?
and if so is there any easy way to strengthen them to allow holes of that size.

Sponsored Links
You cannot cut that much out of the joists.If you think about it you would have to notch the joists making each notch progressfully deeper ,unless you was going to drilla hole in the centre of the joist and put the waste pipe in in short lengths.I have seen some regulations regarding this subject on a forum somewhere

splinter said:
unless you was going to drilla hole in the centre of the joist
Thats what I intended to do.
splinter said:
put the waste pipe in in short lengths.
Hmmz hadn't thought about that problem. The simple things are so easy miss at times :(

But if it is allowed I'm not to worried by using lots of short bits allthough it increases the number of joints and hence the likely hood of a leak.

This is what I found :-A hole in the centrer of a joist should not be more than 0.25 than the depth of a joist . A notch should not be more than 0.125 than the depth of a joist .There are also maxium measurements given from the ends of the joists given from the end of the joists,wich I have gone and forgot ,but it looks like youare going to have tobox the pipe in so they don't matter in this case :)

Sponsored Links
Darn back to plan B then (only wish i had a plan B)

Thanks for the quick reply :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back