Running Power Outside the House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again,

I installed 2 x Power sockets in a bedroom, only to now find that i've had to remove them to get some new wardrobes in (don't ask !).

My question is..... i want to put a double socket on the wall above what is effectively a dressing table (about 3 foot up the wall). The wall this is to go on is an exterior wall.

Is it possible (and safe and legal!) to run a spur down from my loft outside the house, down the exterior wall and then straight in the the back of a socket ?

Would i need to shield the cabling in some sort of conduit/piping/trunking ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Sossage.

P.S. I would seriously recommend getting a chippy to fit new fitted wardrobes (48 hours of work and still not finished :confused: )

Sponsored Links
While it may be physically possible it is not really good practice - maybe others know of the IEE regs regarding this. It may be a better idea to route the wires under the floorboards and up the wall behind the dressing table to your desired position. Even if you have to chase the cables into the wall to hide them it will probably still cost less than what you suggest. Or can you route/hide the cables behind the wardrobe?

Thanks for the reply Ant.

The benefit of running the cables outside (single story building) is that i can go straight from the socket through the wall, up the exterior wall and back in to the loft where i can join to ring main.

Otherwise, as you say, i'll just chase up the wall the the loft space and do the same.

Main reason for going outside would be to avoid the chasing/re-decorating and i really really hate chasing ! :)

I suppose the only other factor is that the exterior wall is on the side of the house and the only thing that's there is my path leading to the rear of the property, so it's not like it's public access etc. and exterior lights/garden power etc. runs outside ?

Whatever way you do it you should make sure it's protected by an RCD (IEE legal requirement for outside skts). The cable should be protected in conduit if possible..plastic would be OK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back