running shower waste pipes across joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to run waste pipes from a bathroom shower tray (Resin) across joists ? I will need to cut into the joist .It's sods law that the new try that came with the Quad shower is a low level type and does not have clearance underneath,I will need to cut into one joist to get to the original wastepipe. :

Sponsored Links
There's info. available on where and how notches can be cut in joists, such as http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/txt/bc-guidancenote7-notchingofjoists.pdf

It's unlikely a 1 1/2" waste can be notched into a joist without seriously weakening it. You might get away with boring a hole on the centre line of the joist, but again only in certain areas, and depending on the size of the joist (see link above), but you may lose the fall on the waste, and water doesn't run up hill.

Generally, the practical solution is to build a raised floor under the tray (eg. 25mm ply on 4X2's) so the waste can run above floor level.
It can make access to the trap and waste easier if it does get blocked.

Sponsored Links
Ta for the info .
I might look at getting a deeper tray with clearence .I don't mind making a plnth to dstand it on but cutting the front to fit the curve of this type of quadrant unit will be a pain ! :idea:
Cheers

TicklyT said:
There's info. available on where and how notches can be cut in joists, such as http://www.eastdevon.gov.uk/txt/bc-guidancenote7-notchingofjoists.pdf

It's unlikely a 1 1/2" waste can be notched into a joist without seriously weakening it. You might get away with boring a hole on the centre line of the joist, but again only in certain areas, and depending on the size of the joist (see link above), but you may lose the fall on the waste, and water doesn't run up hill.

Generally, the practical solution is to build a raised floor under the tray (eg. 25mm ply on 4X2's) so the waste can run above floor level.
It can make access to the trap and waste easier if it does get blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back