running utilities to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i plan to build a shed out of brick at the end of my mums garden to live in for a while. my mum has a ginnel so i never need to disturb her. i plan to have a bathroom with shower and toilet in there and a small kitchen.

i am going to need:
electric
water
a couple of runs of CAT5 (for broadband and future proofing)
a 4 core fire alarm cable to link the fire alarms

what is the best way to do this? i want everything to run underground, should i get some sort of conduit for all the cables. iknow to get SWA cable for the mains power but you can't get SWA cat5 cable...

what type of water pipe should i use? i don't want it to burst or freeze up in the winter.

i will probably have a power shower in there and/or also a really small boiler. i will also have quite a few sockets, about 5 lights and 2 floodlights on the outside. what size wire should i use bearing all this in mind? i was thinking around 30mm just because of the shower but that is going to be very expensive!

if you need more details or have questions, just ask!

thanks in advance...
-luke

P.S
just remembered. i am going to need a toilet in there. it is going to be quite far from the house so i don't think running a sewage pipe is an option. do i have any alternatives?

Sponsored Links
You will need:

Planning permission since a brick building you intend to live in is not a temporary structure, a timber sheds for storage/workshop normally is.

Connection to main drain

Water pipe around 30" deep.

Structure needs to meet building regs

Electrical work has to be done by a qualified electrician.

Cat5 doesn't need to be SWA as it won't kill you if you hit it with a spade when gardening.

Good luck and hope she has understanding neighbours.

we have spoken to all the neighbours and they are fine with it. because the floor of it is going to be sunk into the ground (not my idea, i am trying to convince my mum against it as it sounds like a recipe for flooding) the roof will only be a bit higher than the fence.

is there not a minimum size that you can build without permission? it is in the back and cant be seen from the front anyway so if the neighbours are fine with it, i don't see the point in getting planning permission.

how big are the main drain pipes going to have to be?

it will be built properly, don't worry. my grandad will be assisting. he built a house from scratch with his bare hands :D

i am perfectly able to do the wiring, i'll just get it signed off by an electrician before i connect it. is this okay?

iknow cat5 won't kill if a spade goes through it but it won't last in the soil. it will decompose and cause problems or get a root through it or something.

You will need planning permission and building regs.. or you risk having to remove the whole thing if anyone finds out about it..

Consider putting a caravan in the garden and running temp services to it.. it will be considered temporary and shouldnt attract attension.. and would be alot cheaper..

Sponsored Links
it would be impossible to get a caravan there unless we use a crane. but then we risk dropping it on the house and it would draw alot of attention.

how do i go about getting planning permission?

pxcBd.png

why can't i just call it a garage?

Can call it a boat if you like, but as you wont be storing a car in it or floating it on water it will be neither it will be a new property..
A habitiable out building i guess.. anyways check what you can build under permitted development..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back