Salamander pump problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had some work done on Friday which required the central heating to be drained down.

The next morning our salamander rsp100 shower pump tripped the circuit so I replaced the fuse and no pw it is just humming instead of pumping.

It sounds like the motor is struggling to kick in.

My question is, is this related to the drain down or purely coincidental?

I have spoken to the plumber who drained the system and he has assured me this would have had no effect on the pump as he didn't remove the water from the hot water cylinder at all or shut down the mains water.

Sponsored Links
There isn't any need to drain off the domestic hot water from the cylinder as this water is separate from the heating circuit - so I think this is a coincidence too.
You may be surprised at how much gunge lives in the bottom of the copper cylinder, but so long as it isn't disturbed there's no problem with that.
It sounds like your shower pump is starting to stick - it happens from time to time.
John :)
P.S Dare we ask about the 'original' boiler problem??
J.

John,

Alas boiler still kept locking out so after much discussion we decided to bite the bullet and get a new boiler grant vortex 16/21 external wall hanging.

That's what was fitted Friday so I pray I have finally seen the end of the intermittent lockouts.

Oil line has been checked and double checked.

Now to fixing a broken shower pump. I have had my fair share of broken plumbing/appliances this year. (Kitchen tap leaked a while ago still need to replace it, downstairs toilet broke in Feb had to be replaced, fridge freezer packed up last month beyond repair had to be replaced).

Got an electrician friend to check pump, impeller is running free, he changed capacitor, apparently motor has gone so yet another thing to replace.

Just wanted to be sure boiler was not cause before I buy new pump.

Hope this is the last of it all.

Sponsored Links
I think you deserve a break (and probably a holiday too :p )
I find as soon as shower pumps start being grumpy its best just to replace them and be done with it.
I'm sure you'll keep us informed, and thanks for the update!
The Grant is one of the best oil boilers around.
John :)

Ah thank you John.

Alas with all the things we have had to replace latekt, a holiday is out if the question.

Just wanted to be sure new boiler did not cause shower pump failure before I order a new one.

New shower pump tomorrow followed by new kitchen tap - oh joy

Hi John,
Not sure if you are still on this site but thought I would give you something to laugh about.

Guess what, our new grant boiler has started to lock out intermittently after two years of running smoothly.
It can only happen to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back