Sand, cement & lime mortar ratios for pointing 1880 terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm a complete novice about this but I'd like to do some bits of repointing on the wall of my terrace.
I can remember (many years ago) a builder mixed sand, cement & lime for pointing another wall but I can't emember the ratio or how to mix it.
I also have no idea what type of sand (I keep hearing builders sand, soft sand, sharp sand, play sand and I'm confused).
If anyone can give me any advice I'd me really grateful.
I'm in the UK and would like to know exactly the type of sand, type of lime and type of cement if possible and the ratios.
I've attached some pics of the wall. You'll see it looks like someone previously has used a sand/cement mix for bits of pointing.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230416_070859.jpg
    20230416_070859.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230416_070903.jpg
    20230416_070903.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230416_070912.jpg
    20230416_070912.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
NHL 3.5 hydraulic lime mixed 1:3 with sand.

The sand is the tricky bit as you want to try and match the existing as close as possible and you won't get that off the shelf. In the 1880s they didn't carry sand half way around the country - they would have used whatever was closest to the job and that would often have been fairly rough and gritty. Search out local sand suppliers and see what they've got? Depending on the area you are pointing, you could try mixing different sands and grits together? My advice is try small areas and let it set. When you get a mix you like, roll it out.

NHL 3.5 hydraulic lime mixed 1:3 with sand.

The sand is the tricky bit as you want to try and match the existing as close as possible and you won't get that off the shelf. In the 1880s they didn't carry sand half way around the country - they would have used whatever was closest to the job and that would often have been fairly rough and gritty. Search out local sand suppliers and see what they've got? Depending on the area you are pointing, you could try mixing different sands and grits together? My advice is try small areas and let it set. When you get a mix you like, roll it out.
Thank you.
It does look rough & gritty - I was presuming that was lime.
I'm not even sure what sort of sand or lime or cement to look far. Is it sharp sand / builders sand?
Are there different types of lime or cement?
It's not a massive area to repoint - Just the odd patch up really.

It's not a massive area to repoint - Just the odd patch up really.
If it's only a small area to repoint, you can get ready mixed mortar in a tub.
I have used these people a few times..

It's really easy to knock-up the mortar in the tub, and it's nice stuff to use.

They also do a mortar matching service if you need it.

...although as it's a non-hydraulic lime putty, it would take longer to set, and is a bit softer than NHL.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back