Sanding after stripping paint from wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hia

I am about to start stripping our staircase (I know, long and tedious job!)

Once I have removed the paint I realise I will have to sand the wood to get a final clean smooth finish. I am looking to see what kind of sander would be best as I can see a few different types and am not sure which is for which job. I have been looking at the Bosch lithium cordless sander, anyone have an opinion?

Ta

Lucy

I feel I am a diy sos waiting to happen but hey you have got to start somewhere! I cannot stand looking at everything painted in an inch of gloss anymore!!

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't a heat gun and a scraper be a lot quicker on the bulk of the paint? Whatever you use, wear a mask.

Scrit

Yep I am planning to use a gun to get most of it off, like I said its just to finish the surface off. wont I need something else to get it clean and smooth?

Sponsored Links
Yes, you'll still need to sand it, but if it's a detail job with turned spindles that job is best done by hand sanding as machines temd to knock off the fine detail. To work fine detail you can get sanding cord (as used by wood turners) from firms like CSM Just Abrasives in Newark, Nottinghamshire. Take a look at their cataloge, you'll find it fascinating.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back