Sanding Wooden Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to sand down an old Victorian pine door to get rid of some marks, what is the best sandpaper to use as I am aware that you can scratch the wood instead of sanding. Also is it easier / worth buying and using an electric sandpaper.

Sponsored Links
Definitely use an orbital sander! Sand with the grain direction as usual. Start with say 80 grit and as the paper wears it will make things finer again. You can use smoother paper if you like to finish.
A detail sander (triangular base) is great for getting into corners.
John :)

If you do it by hand make sure you use a sanding block, except of course on curves. Avoid cheap sandpaper, it is useless. I prefer to hand sand, others will disagree. Grade 80 is very coarse, I would be very careful with a power sander and grade 80, even when hand sanding too.

What are the marks? If they are dents i.e. compression damage, try repeatedly wetting the dent, and waiting an hour or so. It should pop out.

The marks are little dark spots all over the door. We recently purchased it and we wonder if it may have previously been marked by rain or something.

If we use an orbital sander, what grit is finer than 80, given that 80 might be too course? Also, does sandpaper in DIY stores have the grit number referenced on the packaging?

Also, we intend to hang the door in a bedroom alcove next to a chimney breast as a cupboard door, using the existing cupboard door frame. However, the door does seem very heavy, will this cause any problems, or is it just a case of making sure the hinges are strong enough? Presumably worst case scenario in terms of weight is that the hinges may come loose?

Sponsored Links
When you go to choose your sander, the grit papers will be displayed close by....the higher the number, the finer the grit.
If your are concerned about the grit being too rough, buy a fine paper and give it a try.
As for the cupboard frame, well it depends on how strongly its been built.....the hinges wont come loose but the frame could come adrift from the wall. Best look at the rebate size too, just to check that the door will fit in.

When you go to choose your sander, the grit papers will be displayed close by....the higher the number, the finer the grit.
If your are concerned about the grit being too rough, buy a fine paper and give it a try.
As for the cupboard frame, well it depends on how strongly its been built.....the hinges wont come loose but the frame could come adrift from the wall. Best look at the rebate size too, just to check that the door will fit in.

Thanks for the advice, what does rebate size mean?

The frame seems like a typical frame that you find next to chimney breasts in Victorian houses. It looks fairly solid. I may just risk it, sounds like worst case scenario I would need to get the frame replaced / repaired if it came adrift.

Alternatively, perhaps I could get the door cut in half i.e. split down the middle to make two narrow cupboard doors, which presumably would half the weight and stress that would have been on just one side if hanging the door as one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back