Sarah Beeny's 'Property Ladder'.

S

Sohail75Bashir

I saw something similar to this design a few years ago on Sarah Beeny's 'Property Ladder'.

I've seen a lot of videos on Youtube, of houses in America, where the internal chimney's are covered in slate tiles, as an ideal focul point for the living room.

One thing I can't seem to find anywhere, is a video explaing how the slates are attached to the brick chimney, and what stops such heavy tiles from falling off whilst the mortar dries.

The link below is the design I'd prefer to imitate.

Any suggestion? :rolleyes: :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSL0-8dQVpU

Sponsored Links
are you just trying to tile the chimney brest or actually tile the inside of the fireplace opening?

Your right about the mortar, so they are fitted using tile cement.

Is the fire in use at all?

I'm actually gonna try to tile the 9ft high chimney breast. It's a complete chimney, with a standard gas fire, no hearth etc.

I'll be blocking off the flue hole for good, as I'll be renewing the central heating system. should see a reduction in gas bill. :rolleyes:

The gas fire, I'll be removing soon, to chisel off the damp plaster. I'll be chiselling back to brick with a 4" spade chisel attachment on my mains sds.

they definetly would have used some adhesive for slate tiles they would slide all over the place with mortar probably plasterboard adhesive lol ive known people use it to stick them fancy edging stones on the external corners to properties and believe it or not years later they are still there :eek:

Sponsored Links
tommyl18, plaster board adhesive?! thats strong sh...stuff! I was tempted to use this, but concerned it might crumble over time on the chimney wall with the heat, if I decide to put in a wood burning fireplace.

Appreciated tommyl18. ;)

I wouldn't use plasterboard adhesive if you intend to use the fire as the heat destroys the gypsum as far as i know, tile cement is stronger and will deal with the temperature better.

I would imagine a sand and cement base followed by a good quality rapidset adhesive would be the optimum recipie? Others may have direct experience of doing this though, i have only ever tiled hearths and use bal rapidset flexi. No problems so far...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back