Sarking felt deteriorating in a 1930 tile house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My semi D house has normal roof tiles and was built in 1930. I noticed that some of the Sarking felt under the roof tiles and sitting on top of the beams are starting to deteriorate and some are broken. There is quite a bit of dust that are blown via the gaps of the tiles into my attic which is insulated but not used but for storage.

I was told that Sarking felt is really not necessary and should not be bothered to replace it as it allows better ventilation for the loft area but obviously colder as there it provides a degree of insulation from the outside. What is your advice? Just leave the Sarking felt to continue to deteriorate and just tear away those that drooped down.. ?? To lift up all the tiles just to put new Sarking felt seems a lot of money for nothing. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I was told that Sarking felt is really not necessary and should not be bothered to replace it
Don't listen to saking deniers and their conspiracies.

Felt tends to last as long as the tiles. Are the tiles deteriorating after 90 years?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back