Sash window cord : nylon core ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I bought some expensive Everlasto sash cord and discovered that the cotton sheath is not woven to the nylon core, and the nylon core itself is also unwoven, it is straight fibres bundled. That particular batch was defective, however then I got some standard cord from Screwfix and looking closely at it the nylon core is the same it is not woven to the sheath, and the nylon core is just a bundle of fibres.
Which makes me think this is ****.
If you clout this to the side of a sash, because the nylon is not woven to the sheath the clout does grip it the core how can it it's just an unwoven nylong bundle.
Only if the core and sheath is woven together would it have real strength.

Hmm ... starting to think that everything that is "new and improved" with plastic ... is just a lie.

I pulled on the sheath of that Everlasto one and it slid upwards.
t1.jpg

Sponsored Links
It’s best to use sash cord retainers / cleats

nailing sash cord is always a weak point.

Is the stuff sold as window sash?
I am no expert but window sash is waxed and different to other types (which I am more used to)

Yeah it's expensive Everlasto sash cord.
But I had some other cord from Everalsto in the past, which was very high quality but it was woven waxed cotton and no nylon centre.
Never heard of sash retainers will use next time, but I did ask some professional sash window guys they said they use clouts to nail them in.

Sponsored Links
A friend who used to repair sliding sash windows used to use this

He just used screws to fix the cord.

He never used sash cleats though. TBH. I had never heard of them, but I guess that @Notch7 is correct about weak points. In most cases the old cord would snap where it meets the first nail

Here is a link to a cleat video- note that the max rating is 20+20KG

I used cleats on all mine with traditional waxed sash cord. It does stretch a bit so make some allowance. 20kg + 20kg is enough for most windows. I think my heaviest was 27kg and that I guess, without measuring is about 900 square.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back