Sash window query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was hoping for a bit of advice. Having spent over £6.5k getting 22 sash windows reconditioned/replaced, draught proofed and decorated I have noticed that in very high winds some of the windows whistle. Generally they are sound but a small number of them are clearly not well sealed. They are the original windows and are about 120 years old. Is this something that I have to live with or should I contact the joiner who did the work and point this out to them. It only happens when it is very windy like it was in the North today. What are my next steps, any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers Sam.

Sponsored Links
I just did 9 for 4.5k.so you got a good deal.

The whistling noise is probably coming from the gap where the sash sits against the parting bead...not much you can do to draft proof this area as the sashes need to be able to move up and down.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it's a total coincidence that goodwood happens to be from the same neck of the woods as Supasash.
Pure coincidence. :D

It's not coincidence at all. If folk want an answer to their problems, they should know about the options. They get plenty of advice from other "professionals", some of whom admit to touting blatantly for business. I suppose I could ask others I know - satisfied clients and other supporters to post instead, but this isn't a "puff", it's a genuine solution that no one else - to my knowledge - is offering. If they look at the website they can make their own minds up. I certainly don't NEED the work.

It's not coincidence at all. If folk want an answer to their problems, they should know about the options. They get plenty of advice from other "professionals", some of whom admit to touting blatantly for business. I suppose I could ask others I know - satisfied clients and other supporters to post instead, but this isn't a "puff", it's a genuine solution that no one else - to my knowledge - is offering. If they look at the website they can make their own minds up. I certainly don't NEED the work.

I think it very wrong to tout your own product on here, advice yes websites that your personally connected with, no.

And I think I must be missing something on the supasash website. All I can see is waffle, just goes on about box sashes in general and other glazing matters, not a lot about their product, and what there is on their system is very vague. Maybe its because I am getting old now :(

Yes, you are getting old, but it's better than the alternative. :)
And yes, you are clearly missing something, but we are all entitled to our views. Can you squeeze a 24mm DGU into a traditional 36mm sash profile, correctly drained and vented? And do it so well, a professional standing not two feet away doesn't notice unless it's carefully pointed out? If you can do this routinely, perhaps it's me that's missing something. I've spent thirty years working out how to do it, and a small fortune on promoting it and protecting my ideas.

Incidentally, if you really are a joiner, it's not you I'm in competition with. It's the PVC and aluminium brigade I see as the problem. I can give you another answer to the sash window problem that you would find difficult to do yourself, for the benefit of your own customers. So what's your problem? It beats me!

Hi Sam
I would get him back to check it out. He may need to change the pile for a wider one between sash and frame so wind pressure does not move it.

I have a company restoring sash windows and drawing below is the method we use to draught proof them. If your guy has done it any different it is not necessarily wrong, as there is no right or wrong way, as long as it works. But I like to do a belt and braces job with 2 draught seals on side of sash and one on parting bead and another on staff bead.

Yes, you are getting old, but it's better than the alternative. :)
And yes, you are clearly missing something, but we are all entitled to our views. Can you squeeze a 24mm DGU into a traditional 36mm sash profile, correctly drained and vented? And do it so well, a professional standing not two feet away doesn't notice unless it's carefully pointed out? If you can do this routinely, perhaps it's me that's missing something. I've spent thirty years working out how to do it, and a small fortune on promoting it and protecting my ideas.

Incidentally, if you really are a joiner, it's not you I'm in competition with. It's the PVC and aluminium brigade I see as the problem. I can give you another answer to the sash window problem that you would find difficult to do yourself, for the benefit of your own customers. So what's your problem? It beats me!

In answer to your Qs
Can you squeeze a 24mm DGU into a traditional 36mm sash profile, correctly drained and vented? My answer is NO

If you have worked out how to do it that allows the top and bottom sashes to pass each other, were the 24mm units will fit in a thin 21mm glazing bar and that satisfy the local authority listed buildings department for use on heritage restoration, you are a rich man and my hero.

And as to :- So what's your problem? It beats me!

I have no problem with the above, simply with people advertising on a forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back