Sauna Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to install a new sauna heater that is rated at 8 kW but I'm not sure if my existing cabling is rated high enough. At the moment I've got a 6.0mm cable from my consumer unit direct to the existing sauna heater. I don't know the current kW rating of my existing sauna heater (I think it's 4.5 kW but not too sure). I'm a bit concerned that 6.0mm may not be enough for 8 kW, do you think this is ok?

Sponsored Links
Ok, let me put my question another way - is 6.0mm T/E cable a high enough specification to run an 8 kW appliance?

Depends on the installation method, How long the cable is from the consumer unit and the type of protective device installed.

Sponsored Links
It's in a domestic installation. The cable run from the consumer unit to the sauna heater is approx 10mtrs.

It still depends on method of installation of the cable .

Does it run through thermal insulation?

Is the cable run along side other cables?

What's the ambient temperature in the sauna and it's effect on the cable temperature?

Is the heater rating of 8kW at 240 0r 230 Volts?

All these factors have to be taken into account.

Hi DESL,

The cable runs along side some other cables behind plasterboards in quite a contained space for about 4 mtrs. There is no insulation there. From there the cables then run underneath the floorboards for about 5 mtrs and are fed through holes in the joists. This is connected to an isolation switch and from the switch the cable is fed through the cavity wall of the sauna, which is insulated, and then connectes to the heater inside the sauna.

Inside the sauna the heater is at waist height and the ambient temperature is approx 90 deg F at that height but the cable is enclosed in a short run of thick hose where it exits the sauna wall and where it enters the heater, so it is not exposed to the ambient temperature.

I believe 8kW is the heater rating at 240v.

Thanks DESL, much appreciated. I thought it may have been the case but like to check with the experts first....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back