Saxby transformer and Halogens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have spots in the shower ceiling x3 each with their own ET60T-R transformer. The lights keep burning out, or refuse to light. Can someone tell me correct
lbulb to use. I have purchased halogen reflector bulbs 12 GU5.3 50W - is this the ideal type? Can anyone recommend a brand as well as rating/type?

Many thanks
S

Sponsored Links
I renewed all my halogen many years ago, but it does depend on the transformer as to what can be fitted, the toroidal lighting transformer will work zero to rated output is normally round, and is 50 Hz, most G5.3 LED bulbs will work without a problem, the electronic transformer like this 1704566014743.jpeg will also work zero to rated value, but this one 1704566093237.jpeg which looks nearly the same will not work a LED bulb under 20 watt, it is marked 20 - 60 VA and as far as you need to know VA is the same as watts. And this 1704566309161.jpeg will also likely work the lights, but is DC. Some LED bulbs do stipulate DC, typical one for a boat is 10 - 30 volt DC, but the G5.3 or some times called MR16 although technically not as they don't have a multi faceted reflector even if 16 8ths of an inch across, are in the main designed for DC or AC and although some marked 50 Hz in the main they still work in the kHz range, so the electronic transformer in the first picture will likely fit through the hold for the lamp, even if the toroidal transformer 1704566768193.jpeg will likely last longer.

If you can use low voltage (230 volt) instead of extra low voltage (12 volt) in the place used, then I would fit GU10 instead, as you can get colour changing, dimming etc. with the smart versions of GU10, but if too low so within the limits where extra low voltage is required then maybe no option but stick with G5.3.

Mains voltage fittings may not be suitable in a shower ceiling

Sponsored Links
I have purchased halogen reflector bulbs 12 GU5.3 50W - is this the ideal type?
Halogen lighting is obsolete, all that's available now is old stock someone has left in a warehouse, or dodgy illegal imports from who knows where.

It's years past the time to replace them with LED.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back