school dinner rebellion. BY PARENTS!

hermes said:
No-one is suggesting that kids should be fed "ONLY" on healthy food.
Clearly we have to rule out compulsion, but as far as suggestions go, can you give me one good reason why we shouldn't?

Sponsored Links
I quite agree, but, imagine the type of kid that doesnt get breakfast, and gets beans on toast for tea everyday, surely if the one decent (or rather enjoyable) meal a day can be chosen (i.e. school or chippy) then my money would be on the chippy. I suppose this brings us back to the parents, and unfortunately some just dont give a XXXX about their kids or what they eat, so the ones that have a nice sit down dinner dont mind eating 'whatever" for lunch, whereas the ones that dont do. I dont have a solution, just giving my opinion, I was brought up on a scabby council estate, I never had breakfast apart from the crisps at the tuck shop, and my evening meal wouldnt win any points in a catering competition. Im glad to say things have changed for the better since then ! But I cant imagine the upbringing of some kids is similar to mine, and I know where I would be at lunchtime if I had to go back in time.

BAS replied whilst I was typing so I missed that, but see my reply.

eggplant said:
as long as I remember anyway, thats why we all went to the chippy! Cant say as its done me any harm.
Indeed not. I'm sure it's made you the calm, reasoning, rational, intelligent, and tolerant person that you are today.

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
I never had breakfast apart from the crisps at the tuck shop, and my evening meal wouldnt win any points in a catering competition.

So presumably you weren't affectionately named for your love of aubergines then?

ban-all-sheds said:
hermes said:
No-one is suggesting that kids should be fed "ONLY" on healthy food.
Clearly we have to rule out compulsion, but as far as suggestions go, can you give me one good reason why we shouldn't?

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't, there are no good reasons why we shouldn't, in an ideal world we would. I'm only pointing out that this is not the objective at the moment.

eggplant said:
I quite agree, but, imagine the type of kid that doesnt get breakfast, and gets beans on toast for tea everyday, surely if the one decent (or rather enjoyable) meal a day can be chosen (i.e. school or chippy) then my money would be on the chippy. .

Glad to see you making the distinction between decent and enjoyable. The point is not to make sure that kids get the food thay enjoy but that they get at least some food that is good for them.

Also, you don't know how much harm going to the chippy every day has done to you. Part of the reason for these new dietary changes is because it has a surprisingly big effect on classroom behaviour and concentration levels. I don't know how well you did at school or what job you do but I would guess that in most cases, kids who do better at school will get better jobs.
Presumably you also don't know the difference between your arteries and those of someone who at fresh food every day at school.

Back