scrapping copper pipe advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I just did a job where I am left with a fair bit of scrap pipe and taps and joints etc, I have never bothered before but I thought I would take this lot to a scrap merchant for some pocket money.

What is best, should I strip all non copper items off to scarp it, like taps and brass joints etc?

I remember when I used to use electrical cable a lot in the past that when we took the scrap cable in I was told to strip the cable to bare copper as it was worth nearly 3 times as much, so thats why I ask if I should strip this pipe of joints etc.

Also is it worth scrapping the old taps and brass joints?

Sorry I am probably a bit dumb on the scrapping but I would appreciate any advice before I give it all in and get taken advantage of.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unless things have changed, I found my local scrap yard is really not fussed about brassware fittings being attached to old pipe etc. You will get taken advantage of by some yards anyway, and likely will never know it.

You really can't compare PVC covered cable to old pipework. The PVC is worth nothing and costs money to remove, leaving waste to dispose of.

Just take the stuff down there and get what you can. Scrap metal prices do fluctuate a lot. If you are really that concerned just ring them up and ask how much they will give (per kg in this case ;) ). Copper pipe is around £5 /kg worth to the scrapman, less the profit he needs so maybe you will get around £3.5 / kg

Depends where you are, if there's a E.M.R. yard nearby you'll probably get a better price from them than a independant merchant. (Who may well sell onto E.M.R. anyway.)

Brass taps, ballvalves etc would be better weighed in seperately, but soldered joints etc will be accepted as copper braziery.

Sponsored Links
My local scrappy wanted bare/clean copper (including solder fittings) separated from compression fittings, taps, etc. Basically anything brass cut off the tubing.

Got a better price that way but involved a little preparation.

You cleaning the scrap means he doesnt have to! Will get you a better price. :D

I took a skipload to the local scrapyard for the boss, scrapman spent more time working out what he could deduct for the rainwater in the bin than anything else..... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back