Screws-How do i remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 years ago had a large shed installed into our garden. We have decided to reposition to a new part of the garden but are having trouble dismantling the shed and removing screws. Almost without exeption, every screw has been driven too far into the wood making them hard to find and not only that the heads of the screws are knackerd to the point that a drill bit will not bite at all. My question, how do i remove screws? Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored Links
drill the tops of the screw heads off with a large enough drill, maybe 3/8", pry the sides apart and remove the remainder of the screws by clamping on a set of mole grips.
When you assemble the shed with new screws, make up some square ply/osb washers, drilled and c/sunk so they unscrew easily next time...pinenot :)

If they are all knackered then do as Pine says. If not, throw your power tools out of the shed, get a proper (PS2?) screwdriver, locate the screw head in the wood and tap the screwdriver with a hammer whilst turning. This will usually shift them. I query PS2 because this size fits most screws fron no6 to no10. If they are size 12 you may need PS3.

Run a hacksaw blade, or better still use an reciprocating saw, down the joint between the timbers.

Sponsored Links
That's common.
Most likely it was built with cheap screws - which easily "chew up" (if they were made accurately in the first place). If it was assembled by "professionals" then they'll have used power drivers and let them cam out (chewing the heads up) every time.

An Impact Driver may help, but most likely the screw will be chewed beyond redemption. Using the right type and size of bit is also important. Some people will use whatever their hand comes across first - but Philips is different to Pozidrive, and as the saying goes, size really does matter. Using the wrong driver is one of the quickest ways to chew up a screw head.

And of course, the screw have also probably started to rust which will also lock them in quite well.

The obvious answer is to pick the shed up whole and carry it. As it's a big shed, you need lots of mates for this :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back