Sealing a Soil Pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a blocked drain recently and it caused my downstairs WC to flood when the loo was flushed as the soil pipe has not been sealed and waste water backing up in the drain came back up around the pipe (which is boxed in behind the loo). Not my shoddy work I add!

Can someone advise me as to how I should seal the gap around the soil pipe to prevent this happening if the drain blocks again please, my concern is that if I use cement or an expanding foam type product some will fall into the drain and may contribute to the likelihood of future blockages. Is there some kind of collar I can fix around the pipe and seal?

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
It's not normal practice to add sealant at the joint of soil pipe and a fitting, so I would think twice about doing that, and then not do it.

Can you take and post a photo of the troublesome joint, so that better advice can be given?

what part you talking about ?
as a soil pipe has its own seal and they never leak.
or is it solvent weld soil pipe ?
or is it the waste connector onto the pan ?

It's the hole where the soil pipe disappears through the floor, there is a gap of around 10mm between the pipe and the edge of the hole in the ground....

Sponsored Links
so your say the pan connector don't fit tight into the pipe in the floor ?

Ok, I have uploaded a picture (hope this makes things clearer)? The problem is the gap between the soil pipe and the hole in the floor leading to the sewer...

OK I can see the photo:

..but I can't make head or tail out of what I'm seeing.

Could you take another having panned out a bit?

BTW, you can make the image appear in your own post as well.

so is that the concrete floor you can see ?
i can see the white pipe doesn't fit properly but the pic still isn't clear have you another pic of a bigger area ?

Best picture I can manage (but will try for another), yes, the picture is of the pipe going into the floor (yes that is the concrete floor you can see).

looks like your missing the sealing ring
the black ribbed rubber seal.

19642.jpg

can see now the ribbed ring is missing.
amazed you haven't had any smells in the bathroom before.

Actually the missus says it often smells in there but she just thought it was me! Thanks for your help Seco, will fit a sealing ring....

just buy a pan connector and take the seal off or buy the same pan connector and just change the lot.

hope you can get to it otherwise when you push it in the hole you'll find it will just push the seal up as they can be tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back