Sealing An expansion Vessel Leak

Sponsored Links
From the first reply in the thread:-
Are you sure the male thread is tapered bsp?
Until we know the answer to that one, we don't know how to seal it, because we don't know where the seal should be.

Tapered threads are sealed on the thread.

Parallel threads just provide the mechanical clamping force to compress a soft washer / pipe olive / 'O' ring seal elsewhere in the joint.

If there are mismatched components fitted together, say, a parallel tap connector screwed onto a tapered fitting, it may not be possible to achieve a proper seal without changing some of the parts. A compression fitting nut may screw onto a tap tail, but a tap tail has a flat face, so it won't compress an olive. Likewise, a tap connector will screw onto a compression fitting, but the tapered olive seat may cut straight through the soft sealing washer.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for all the replies.
I have been very busy the last few days and I havnt had a chance to respond to the posts.
I am going to have another look it on wedensday to confirm if it is a Parrallel or taper thread.But I would have hoped that if it needed a washer there would have been one in the kit I bought.
Now do I wind the Ptfe tape with the thread or against it? and where did I leave those spurs??????????
Cheers
Ian

with the thread, and if you are using multi wrap as suggested, us approx 20 wraps overlaping as you go. a little blob of silicone grease will help the fittings go together as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back