Sealing cast iron soil pipe joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a 4 inch cast iron soil pipe down the outside of my house (listed building) to take waste from a new 1st floor bathroom. The whole thing is approx 18ft high as it's to go up to vent at roof level. There are several joints which need to be sealed (airtight?) - what should I use to do that?

Sponsored Links
I believe that for the traditionalist its tarred string/rope to fill the gap topped off with putty for the seal...But these days its bound to be the all conquering mastic gun :LOL:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Un tarred hemp ;) Yes I`ve actually done them :LOL:.....if it`s listed then use 4 inch lead ...........because I`ve pulled a bend on that too :LOL: :LOL:

The places which sell the cast iron will also sell you the bits and goo to seal the joints. I've forgotten the names now, but do remember that the sealant is something like £40 a pot!

Traditional method with propane ring, crucible, ladles, rats tail, caulking irons... :rolleyes: too much faffing about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back