Sealing exposed stonework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am doing a barn conversion.
I have an some exposed walls and also exposed stonework in the inglenook fireplace.
What should I use to seal the stonework to stop everywhere getting dusty.
It is various stones, including sandstone.
Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
The owner of a barn i was working on a couple of years ago was sealing his stonework with water based varnish which he watered down if you get my gist. Called to see him last week and the stonework still looked o.k.
Think he used matt varnish so it was'nt shiney.Im seeing him again next week , i will get futher details if you like.

Sponsored Links
Id go for oil based matt varnish..thin out the first coat to soak in.. if it needs another (which it probably wont) then do the same again but a little thicker.

Moderators...wouldnt it easier just to delete a double thread as opposed to locking it?...whats the point in leaving it there locked?....

Just because it mentions stonework, it doesnt mean to say the answer has something to do with building...usiing two forums would make sense....two lots of people reading the answers....and as it happens, the subject is more towards decorating anyway...a builder wouldnt know about using varnish...a decorator would

Just a thought...... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back