Sealing Plasterboard before papering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read many posts on the subject of sealing new plasterboard before papering and generally it seems the best idea is to seal with an oil based sealer or undercoat. I have only found water based sealers specifically for plasterboard. This may seem like a silly question but should I be looking for a specific product or will an oil based undercoat which is designed for wood be ok. Only asking because there is no reference to using on plasterboard on the tin. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have a look for a product called 'guardz' by zinseer

All of the sealers I know are water based, personally I dont rate them for papering over

You could also try using thinned out undercoat....the only problem is the smell because of the large surface area

Thinned out vinyl matt will do the same job

Zampa will thinned out vinly matt allow easy stripping of wallpaper in the future. I always thought a mist coat of emulsion was to prepare for painting.

If the plasterboard has been dry lined seal it with PVA and carry on, as for future stripping the plasterboard will get scored however you strip it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back