sealing porceline floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to lay porceline floor tiles in a kitchen (off white). I've been told by one supplier that they should be sealed as they can stain. Others say that porceline is almost totally non absorbent. Any advise or experience greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Clean 'em and seal 'em before you lay 'em.

I've just had nasty experience with some where the MI's said to fix, grout, clean then seal......the excess grout got trapped into the pores and it was a nervy experience trying to clean once they were down.

Discuss your plans with the shop you bought them from....most tile suppliers I've spoken to are recommending sealing before grouting.

Do the MI's on the box say they need to be sealed ?

If the tiles are glazed then you should have no staining problems. Some of the cheaper porcelain tiles about today are more porous than they used to be so if they're if unglazed then you should consider sealing.
If in doubt, do a test. Leave some soy sauce (or something similar that you know would stain something porous) on the face of a tile over night. Then in the morning, see if it wipes off without leaving a stain. No stain, don't seal. Stained, seal the tiles.
I would have thought though that if you've been told by the supplier that these tiles do stain, then they're probably telling you that because they've had a customer complain about them staining.

As per gcol said and to add....

Polished porcelain tiles = require sealing
Unpolished porcelain tiles = don't require sealing but it is optional depending on the tile (some should not be sealed) it can aid cleaning
Glazed porcelain tiles = don't require sealing

Bear in mind that polished porcelain is what it is - polished to a glass like finish. That polished top surface does dull in time. I always suggest using a mat well (with a mat in of course :rolleyes: ) by the outside door to remove the grit off peoples feet as they come in. Grit in shoe sole treads is like grinding paste. I have some on a display floor in a main walkway that are dulling after only 7 months wear.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advise. I think that the cheaper tiles are the ones that the manufacturers are saying should be sealed because they are more porous and should be sealed. Good point about the mat well I'll take that on board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back