Seamless ply joints on wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am lining a shed ith 9mm wbp plywood and to make a neat finish I would like to make all the joints between the ply sheets invisible or as close to invisible as I can get after painting it. Do I use some kind of flexible filler and then paint? A tape? Should I leave a gap between each ply sheet to allow for a filler or do I butt them up as closely as possible?

Your help would be much appreciated.

As you can probably gather, I am a novice with all things diy but happy to act on advice.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
what i usually do is run a planer down the edge to form a chamfer,so when they are butted up it looks like a v joint,then you can add some form of filler and being as it larger then a hair line crack you can get more filler in,once dry sand down.

Ply boards wont contract much, and the frame they are fixed to will govern how much they move - and how much the joints open.

The chamfered joint is probably the best way, but make sure the cut is spot on or the boards may not mate properly

Try the old trick of sawdust in PVA for filler, and sand down to blend it in

Thank you both. Sounds like excellent advice. Hadn't even considered that. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
I'd be interested to see how this turned out if you don't mind putting pics up!

Will do. Might be a week or two before pics as something else cropped u today to keep me busy but will post pics when done as a reply to this post.

Did this with my garage, just ran a bead of dec caulk thru joints before painting looks fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back