Securing Basin to Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm currently in the middle of re-fitting my bathroom and throughout the project I've found this forum a fantastic source of help!

Anyway, I've a question I couldn't find an answer to...

The basin I'm fitting is one of those that sit on a unit where you cut the worktop and unit top panel so the sink can sit on top. So far all that has gone well, however I now need to secure it in place but no fittings came with it.

Is it the case that once the sink is sealed into place, it will be secure enough not to need fittings? Will simple silicone sealant be enough or should I use a special glue (what type?).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Paul.

Sponsored Links
silicone should be enough plus the weight of the sink to hold it down

Correct slap the silicon on ,BUT ensure both surfaces are clean and free from stour .Once you apply silicon and unit is in place squish gently wi soapy water before finishing off with your finger will give a better finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help!

Not heard about the soapy water trick before which sounds very useful. I had no end of trouble with an old bath trying to reseal around the edge, I could never make it neat or end up putting too much sealant on... So when you say "squish gently with soapy water", do you mean to use your finger at this stage as well as using your finger to finish off?

One more quick question, as well as the silicone sealant around the basin edge, should I put some underneath the basin where it rests on the worktop surface as an extra seal?

Cheers

You're using it under the basin as glue anyway.. :confused: Just put it everywhere :D . Something like "Nail and Seal" gripps better - depends on the area.

I stopped using water, soapy or otherwise, as it can get trapped and cause mould. Use a silicone finishing tool, or the corner of a credit card.
make sure it's "Sanitary" silicone - many find Dow Corning the best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back