Security Floodlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hope someone can help with this.

I was hoping to add a light to the downstairs circuit. On investigation I notice that this circuit has 9 normal bulbs (say 900W), and the mains halogen lighting in the kitchen (8 x 50W). That's 1300W total on my 6A MCB - no problem.

However, there are also two security floodlights on this circuit, which I think are 500W each, although only on briefly when activated by PIR.

Is this ok as it stands? Is it ok enough to add another couple of normal bulbs as I originally wanted? If not, is it ok to limit it by adding a switch so that you can only have security lights OR new lights, not both (I figured out the circuit for this).

So many questions ... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
are you sure the security lights are on the lighting circuit.

the outside lights should be taken off the lighting circuit and fed from a 13A FCU in 1.5mm² hi-tuff or arctic.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
the outside lights should be taken off the lighting circuit and fed from a 13A FCU in 1.5mm² hi-tuff or arctic.

13A? Even when both activated they can only draw 5A, can't they?

The cables supplying the lights are currently 1mm2 T&E but run straight out of the hole in the wall and into the back of the light - should I replace with arctic?

oops i ****ed up. sorry.

yes, a 5A FCU. for some reason i was thinking of a 10A load, which would warrant a 13A fuse.

If the cable goes straight into the light, it should be ok. UV light degrades ordinary PVC cable. arctic is more resistant to UV.

You have to be careful here. I had a customer with a circuit for security lighting on a 5A breaker. It tripped madly with 2 x 500W lamps in because of the inrush.

But with a 500 and a 300 or less, it was fine.

So maybe a 5A might not be enough for 2 x 500W. You have to think not just about the steady current draw, but startup current, too.

Hmm, but having said all that there's nowhere convenient to get into the ring. There's an existing FCU for the boiler (which bizzarely has *two* cables coming in from a junction box somewhere ...) but I read that you can't spur off a spur so that's no help to me. Problems, problems.

iirc LS found a while back that 2x500W halogens caused problems on a B6 but were fine on a C6.

so i'd expect them to be fine on a 5A cartridge fuse as well. cartridge fuses seem a LOT less sensitive to surges than MCBs, i've had a B16 trip (with negligable other load) while the 3A fuse downstream was left intact from a bulb failure before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back