Seeding an existing garden lawn for the 1st time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need a bit of advice on the above.

My back lawn was pretty bad with moss and weeds and lots of pockets of worn grass.
So I applied a lawn feed with moss and weed killer. After 14 days I then raked all the moss and weeds using an electric lawn rake.
This left me with practically soil in the most.
I then applied grass seed raked it in and then used a roller to press seeds into the soil.

This last process was around 2 weeks ago. I cut for the 1st time last night and it is a big difference and have some good grass coming through but I am left with some areas which are still bare and areas of thin grass.

One area in particular looks like it has been burned and the grass looks dead.

Do I leave it as is and do the whole above process again in Sept time or do I overseed again just now or add lawn feed?

Any Advice would be great.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave,

I remember doing the same in my last house, removed all the dead stuff and was worried I'd done the wrong thing and should have just left it alone.

Saying that, once i did it all and the grass was a couple of months old it looked lovely, best lawn I've had.

I think the rolling of the seed may not have helped. I did the same as you up to that point but just scatered the topsoil over it and kept watering it every night. If you read the instructions on the pack they normally just say rake it in.

I'll be doing mine again soon as they two labs have ruined the current lawn! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back