Seemingly Lawless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just thought i would post a bit of a rant a bit of a story of building matters that i am involved and aware of.

1. My neighbour (i live in a semi dtached small holding were my neighbour as identical but mirrored 1940s house) I am currently building a two storey extension, with my help my neighbour applied for identical extension, true to his form he started and decided not to go two storey as plans, not to fit windows as plans, as gone bigger than width of original house, as paid for building regs, but the officer is just shaking his head at some of the contravinences of building control, he is currently fitting ther flue of his self fitted woodburner with the witches hat directly below and about a meter from the upper bedroom window, totally lawless but thats what he is.

2. In work we are currently undertaking the very very high spec of a small cottage for a client, the client who i shall not name as a architectual practice that is very high brow and in fact in part had some responsibilities in that famous vegetable (or fruit) shaped building central london , as shown on apprentice. now he as provided all the detail for this cottage conversion we have been there months as contractors, there is no big contractual agreement, his wife is the daughter of the original owners of this premises and it will remain in the family as a holiday home, our private building control officer as washed his hands of it, a lot of the detail does not and can never comply to BC standards, our client is not worried one iota, very much the same as my unruly neighbour..

As i see it no body will step in and stop the works, my neighbour would have problems when selling, the architect will never sell the family property, my neighbours build although not complying is pretty robust, the architects is extremely well built,

just thought i would post for discussion.

Sponsored Links
That's life.
I've seen developers get away with murder (Planning-wise) while sometimes those who do it by the book get pilloried.

Sponsored Links
there is no sense to this post other than 2 different individuals at different ends of the social scale are very similar in that they are putting two fingers up to building control with what i can see very little repercushion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back