Self Build Canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am in the proccess of looking how to build a canopy so i am looking for some advise

My canopy will be about 6mts long what size wood should use for

1, the front face
2, the trusses and how many to span the 6mtr length
3, what distace to come out (has to cover a bay winow) if say it is 1mtr do i go up 1mtr so my trusses are 45 deg angles.

have found a pic on here of the truss but could not copy it to here

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pitch of the canopy needs to look right.

Often, people over-steeply pitch these and end up with it looking wrong.

Either look at the main house roof and go with that or if you wish to use say plain tiles look at a 35 degree pitch as this will be ok over a bay.

Another factor is upstairs windows and the flashing from the bay not interfering with the sills, though this should not be a problem with such a small canopy.

Construction will depend upon your capabilities. The canopy can either be supported off gallows or by timber, steel or masonry pillars or posts etc.

or......

Some houses may have a garage jut-out, and/or a porch which can be used to support the canopy.

Once support has been established it is then a case of running a sturdy timber across the support onto which the rafters are birdsmouthed. They are then anchored back to the wall via a bolted wall plate.

Most of the timber elements will be say 100mm x 50mm (rafters, joists and plates) with the main support timber being say a 200mm x 75mm or any other that will deal with the span.

The design of the roof will be obviously lean-to with mebbe a hip at each end or even a gable with valleys where it may pass over a porch for instance.

45 degrees often looks far too steep.

Ok thanks its been sometime iam now going to start it

Found this image on hear going to use this method of construction

My bay window comes out about 350mm and my house is set back from next door by about 3ft (detached)

So was thinking the canopy to come out by 6/700mm as this would keep it behind next doors property

I am using pvc colums x3 do these need to be filled or will they support the canopy

Thanks

I am using pvc colums x3 do these need to be filled or will they support the canopy

Can you expand a little more on "pvc columns" as i haven't a clue.

Bay windows will often incorporate an aluminium post clad in plastic which helps support the roof structure - is this what you mean?

Sponsored Links
Those two columns are not identical and are different lengths.

I have absolutely no idea about their structural merits.

Are they pvc or fibreglass?

..or Doric... :p

Thanks for reply noseall

Picture is for illistration only

Material is fiberglass

Thinking of putting a 3x3 wood down centre of column full height to support the canopy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back