self build idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all this is my first post.

im i thinking of buying land with planing already passed and building a home with the help of my family and friends. i wont be in a hurry to build as im not rich and cannot afford to pay someone to plan and build it.

my question is would i be wiser using £30000 as a deposit and buying a house or buying land and spending a few years just building what and when i can afford it.

by the way,the house im thinking of building would be a small 3 bedroom nothing to fancy.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're young and have time on your hands, then definately buy the land with the 30k.

Thing is you will own this land and won't be paying some fat banker a hefty pay packet every month.
Ok at some point you may have to borrow to finish the project but postpone it as long as possible.
Thats my advice.
Ooh and of course the house is built to your specifications.

all depends if you have the skills between you to build to an acceptable standard remembering there are regs covering just about every thing
strength foundation insulation electrics plumbing materials windows roof water discharge heat loss energy efficiency

plus certain areas require a competent registered person

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back