Sentinel X400 flushing agent, long term use OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm using Sentinel X400 flushing agent in combination with a MagnaClean magnetic filter, to remove sludge from a system that has been run for years without any inhibitor.

My hope is that the flushing agent will gradually lift the sediment from the nooks and crannies that it has settled in, and the filter will pull it out of suspension and collect it for me. So far it seems to be working OK with huge amounts of sediment being collected in the first week, now tapering off but still collecting some.

Given that summer is finally here there obviously isn't much call to have the CH system on, which means the flushing agent isn't going to be doing much good. I'm wondering about leaving it in through autumn/winter when it will get a much better work out.

The instructions say to run it for at least 2 hours or up to e.g. 4 weeks, but they don't give any indication of a maximum time that it can be used for.

I don't know how normal inhibitors work or how the flushing agents differ, but I imagine they all have some form of anti-oxident agent which will gradually get used up. Presumably the flushing agent will be optimised for lifting sediment and not have such a high concentration of the anti-oxident, which means the inhibiting effect will run out sooner.

Anybody know how long this stuff can be used for? Is it likely to be OK for 6 - 8 months?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
Magnaclean's own cleaner is actually very effective. I think it is better than X400, but I havn't tested it enough to be definite...

Use Fernox DS9 or the present equivalent. That will get rid of all the crap in there. X-400 has limited effect. The magna clean is well worth it.

Yes I've been very pleased with the Magnaclean. I didn't realize there was so much difference between the different brands of flushing agent. I went for the X400 because our local plumbers merchant had racks of the stuff on sale. It sounds as if I'll need to look for alternatives next time though. Thanks for the tips.

The different chemicals have different properties.

The X400 and the much quicker X800 are very mild but equally not that effective if the dirt is fine and loose.

The citric acid based types are much more effective but also acidic so much more likely to make rads leak.

Tony

So far I haven't had any problems with the rads themselves leaking (fingers crossed!) but I've had compression joints that weren't leaking but showed signs of having leaked in the past, suddenly start leaking again. I guess they'd got clogged up with rust or something and the flushing agent has shifted it. Pretty well every compression joint in the house is showing signs of having leaked at some point, so I guess I'd better get the buckets ready. :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back