Separate Single Oven and Electric Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen previously had a double electric oven and a gas hob. Due to the gas supply being bottled (I live in the wilds of Scotland where there is no mains gas) I want to change to a Electric Hob and Single Electric Oven.

Existing wiring is a 6mm2 cable back to a 30Amp fuse at the consumer unit via an isolation switch, previously used for the double oven. I am thinking I can use this cable for the new Hob rated at 24 Amps. Any problems with this?

The single oven is rated at 13-14 Amps and in the installation guide it says it should be fited with its own radial circuit and circuit breaker. I have heard that single ovens can be just wired into the ring main. Is this true? I don't really want to have to run a new radial circuit as that will involve pulling up a laminate floor and all sorts.

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A good practice is that you separate hob oven etc and put each one of them on a dedicated circuit, of course it is not always possible. Something you cannot compromise on is the size of the cable in relation to the load and the value of the CB.
An outlet socket would be suitable for a load of 13A Max. The max load of the appliance must be defined and be clear.
I would, if possible, supply it with a 6mm cable, in the future you might decide that you want a bigger oven and than it might require a more significant intervention.

You can use the 24A oven with the 6mm cable and 30A fuse, but there are some factors that will de-rate the cable carrying capacity and they have to be considered (for example, if the cable run is via insulation etc.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back