seprate flatlet electrics

G

george765

I have 100A supply to my house and I want to create a seperate flatlet which will be all electric.
Will I be able fit another small csu in flatlet, running from my main csu and if so, what size main switch should it have ?
I already have another csu in my garage running off a 50A mcb in my main csu.
cheers, George

Sponsored Links
What is the proposed maximum demand for the flatlet?

What is the maximum demand for the existing installation?

These are the very first things that will be asked of you by the competent electrician who should be doing the work.

Or (gasp) were you thinking of doing this work yourself?

If the new dwelling will be all-electric and you already have a second supply running off your board, I doubt it.

You'll need to do calculations as to the assumed demand.

Also, won't there need to be off-peak heating in the flat?

No, won't be doing the work myself. I am just trying to work out the cost of the flat conversion. If another electric supply needs to be run in by the local company it may push the cost of conversion over my budget.
what's the total load allowed for 100A supply ( i.e. in total mcb ratings) I believe this can be more than the 100A incoming due to diversity ?

At the moment, as I said, the main c.s.u. has the garage on a 50A
and the regular up/down rings on 32A a seperate laundry room ring 32A a water heater circuit 20A and 5 diferent 6A lighting circuits.
Although there's a lot of different circuits the demand is quite low as there's only me and the mrs.
The garage is split into 2 seperate 6A circuits for lighting, a 32A ring and a 16A for a freezer (unused)
what's your thoughts guys ? I can give actual expected demand figures at any one time if needed ( if someone would give work out the figures for me)
big big thanks for any help
george

Sponsored Links
50A to your garage? That's nearly 12kW. What are you using in the garage? I'm trying to estimate the significance of the garage demand.

When I had the garage wired I had it with a big supply, just in case :confused:
I still have nothing in there, that pulls a large load, I just plug a hand drill in sometimes. I know it was overkill. I could run the garage on a 20A supply.
George

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back